Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Guys Read: Funny Business

stories by



I gave this book 4 out of 5 Stars on GoodReads

I am not sure it's fair for me to rate this book, given the audience is more like 5th grade boys; however, having raised four sons, I feel like I have a pretty good grip on what amuses them: gross stuff? CHECK. bodily harm to friends? CHECK. Brotherly scheming? Payback? Superheroes? CHECK. All told by eight outstanding authors in ten short stories.

This book has all the necessary elements to entertain young males -- the intended audience, and I did enjoy listening to them with a variety of narrators. I found myself chuckling out loud in several stories, but more than the laughs, I found some surprising poignancy. My favorite stories (YOUR QUESTION FOR AUTHOR HERE, ARTEMIS BEGINS)and another (UNACCOMPANIED MINORS)probably have more appeal to adults, as they seem more reflections on childhood.

I don't think most of the stories are ROFL level, but they will entertain and possibly get that reluctant reader to try another book. And THAT is the point of the book.

Parents be advised that there is LOTS of gross-out stuff in this book, both physically and emotionally abusive adults, bad behavior and poor role models, and violence. All of which means boys 9-11 will LOVE it.

This audio book was downloaded free of charge as part of AudioBookSync Summer 2012 promotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment