Friday, January 20, 2012

Mercury

Larson, H. (2010). Mercury. NY: Atheneum Books for Young Readers.
YA Fiction / Graphic novel-comic / historical fiction, but with some fantasy
Eisner Award Winner; Junior Library Guild Selection

I didn't intend to read this.  A freshman at my school checked it out at the end of the day, and it was turned-in first thing the next morning.  I opened it up to see what was either so dull or so fascinating that it could have such a quick turn around, and I was surprised to see it was an illustrated novel.

I flipped through and saw that there were two storylines; one in the present and one in the past.  I was drawn in quickly, and couldn't put the book down! Though some of the drawings were confusing (especially since one storyline involved two teens who greatly resembled one another), it was definitely an entertaining, well-drawn, and quick read.  I enjoyed it and liked how the ending left you with just a few thoughts to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment