Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

Selznick, B. (2007). The Invention of Hugo Cabret. NY: Scholastic Press.
YA Lit / Graphic novel / mystery / historical fiction / picture book

This was an incredible book and quite possibly my favorite of the year.  The drawings were amazing - all 284 pages of them! Even the format of the book in its layout, coloring, style, and construction truly contributed to the storyline.  And the storyline was great and kept me turning the pages.

Prior to starting the book, I had read an article that talked about the automaton (I want one of these of my very own!!! Maillardet's Automaton) and another about Selznick's inspirations.  It is fascinating, shows a bunch of Selznick's drawings from the book, and lists his 20 favorite books. It's easy to see who influenced him, and I encourage anyone who's read or not read the book to check it out:
Author Brian Selznick Shares 20 Favorite Children's Books

In case you haven't figured it out, I HIGHLY recommend this book to young and old.  It's a treasure.

UPDATE: I made this little book trailer after I named this book my favorite book from 2011.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment